I have an option at the bottom of every post on my blog for suggestions on future topics. I received my first one a few weeks ago. This person wanted to discuss why we create.
The dictionary defines create as bringing (something) into existence. Here are some synonyms: make, produce, originate, generate, and form.
I scoured the web looking at other posts on this topic and any videos on YouTube. I also asked my Facebook and writing friends what their answer to the question would be. The list below was compiled from their 20 responses. I hope you enjoy this post and thanks to all of you for sharing.
- I create because I have to. Something inside compels me.
- I write because I want to give the daydreams in my head life.
- I create because I get a lot of joy out of it. I feel a great sense of accomplishment.
- Completing something is so satisfying. As a mom I often feel like as soon as I complete a task it gets messed up again that it can be discouraging. It feels so good to actually finish a craft or writing project. Seeing proof of my efforts. Knowing it won’t get messed up. It’s FINISHED and will stay that way.
- I like to organize things, and when I’m finished creating a story or a novel, I feel like I’ve organized a journey for someone else to take!
- I HAVE to create or I lose a part of me, little by little.
- I’m beginning to believe it’s Hypergraphia.
- I love being able to create art. I love that I can use that part of my mind. It’s something I can get lost in. I can learn new things, meet new people, make images in my mind as reality and make things that other people love as well.
- I get a story in my head and I can’t get it out until I get it on paper or my computer.
- If I don’t, I go crazy. I have to write it down and then I love the puzzling process, putting it all together so that it makes sense.
- There is something thrilling in taking an idea in your head then making it come alive. It is ultimately fulfilling, and oh so satisfying.
- I love to pretend that the Christmas season extends beyond December 25th.
- The natural high that comes with doing something you absolutely love is AMAZING! It’s all about PASSION!
- Creating something gives me a feeling of empowerment, deep satisfaction and fulfillment. I think it is evidence of our relationship with our own creators. It makes me feel closer to them and more like them when I create something.
- I can start and finish something that I manage on my own…without some deadline dictating to me what must be done.
- I have to write the way I have to eat, sleep, and breathe. It’s an inherent part of who I am.
- It is a type of meditation. You can create something from your heart that you hope will bring good to the life of another.
- I feel like I have an over-active imagination and writing is a way to put it to good use.
- I do it for my sanity.
For me creativity is a gift from God. I found this quote that conveys this beautifully.
We are ourselves creations. We are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves. This is the God-force extending itself through us. Creativity is God’s gift to us. Using creativity is our gift back to God. – JULIA CAMERON, Heart Steps
Why do YOU create?