What is Zeugma? Zeugma is using a word (usually a verb) to act with two or more parts of the sentence. Zeugma can be an everyday construction, a quirky construction for impact, or a grammatical or logical mistake. The zeugma is sometimes utilized to create drama, add emotion or produce some sort of shock value.
- “He lost his coat and his temper.” (Zeugma)
- “You held your breath and the door for me.” (Zeugma)
- “She opened her door and her heart to the orphan.” (Wunderland)
- “He opened his mind and his wallet at the movies.”
- “Mr. Pickwick took his hat and his leave.” (Zeugma)
- “He milked the situation and the cow.” (Words & Stuff)
- “She stayed his execution and at the hotel.” (Words & Stuff)
A zeugma is so much fun!! And I can’t believe today is the last day of the challenge. I made it!! Congratulations to everyone who participated in this years A-Z Blogging Challenge. I know I learned a lot and enjoyed the exercise immensely. Until next year my friends!