What is Voice? This term is used to describe whether a verb is active or passive. The voice of a verb tells us whether the subject of a verb is being acted upon or acting.
- What is active voice? If the subject is performing the action, then the verb is said to be in the active voice.
- What is passive voice? If the subject is having the action done to it, the the verb is said to be in the passive voice.
Why would you use Active?
- Sentences are shorter.
- Sentences are more engaging.
- Sentences are more direct.
Why would you use Passive?
- Sentences allow you to shift the focus of the subject.
- Sentences are used when the subject is obvious, unimportant, or unknown.