What is Tautology? Tautology is the needless repetition of a single concept. This is huge for writing. I think we are all guilty of this one at some point.
- At that moment in time, the stars dimmed. (It’s always a moment in time.)
- The man who used to live next door is a single bachelor. (Bachelors are always single.)
- The vote was totally unanimous. (The word totally doesn’t add anything.)
- He left at 3 am in the morning. (The term am means in the morning.)
- The reason is because he left during the dinner. (The word because doesn’t add anything.)
I had never heard of this term but I see this in writing all the time. Are there any examples that you’ve found that stick out to you?